Hard Rock Hotel New Orleans

Hard Rock’s New Orleans Convention Hotel Collapses

Hard Rock hotel that had been under construction in New Orleans collapsed Saturday, killing at least two people and hospitalizing 30 others. 

The Hard Rock Hotel New Orleans, which had at one point been scheduled to open this spring, was to be housed in a new, 18-story building blocks from the city’s Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, which is the sixth largest in the country. Plans called for the hotel to have 350 rooms, along with four meeting spaces and two ballrooms, for a total of approximately 12,000 square feet of event space.

Citadel Builders LLC was contracted by Kailas Companies, owner of the project, to build the Hard Rock Hotel New Orleans based on a brand licensing agreement with Hard Rock International, the future manager of the hotel,” Hard Rock International said in a statement on the collapse. “Hard Rock has had no involvement in the construction of the project. We want to extend our deepest sympathies to victims of this tragic accident and to their loved ones and friends.”

CNN reports that rescuers continued searching for a worker still trapped in the rubble on Sunday. There is still no word yet on what caused the collapse, but New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said that there will be a “relentless” investigation into the incident. 

According to the latest update from the Mayor’s office, major road closures will be in place in the downtown area, as well as a number of adjustments to public transportation service. It is advised to avoid the downtown area unless strictly necessary. 

The road closures are as follows:

  • Common Street is closed from Basin Street to Dauphine Street.
  • Dauphine Street is closed from Common Street to Conti Street
  • Conti Street is closed from Dauphine to Basin Street
  • Canal Street is closed between Elk Place and Dauphine Street

Canal Street is open both directions between the Mississippi River and Dauphine Street. Drivers traveling lake bound will be required to turn back and use St. Charles Avenue, Magazine Street and Tchoupitoulas Street to travel uptown.

Additionally, all bus and streetcar connections in the affected area near Canal and Elk will now be operated from the Regional Transit Authority’s headquarters at 2817 Canal Street. The latest public transit updates are available here

Related Stories

New Experiential Meeting Offerings at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua

Charleston Harbor Tours & Events Launches New Vessel

Perillo Expands MICE Portfolio

New Vegas Icebar Now Accepting Group Bookings